Any driver involved in a reportable property damage collision is to report the collision at a CRC. Police units will be dispatched to the scene when one or more of the following situations apply.

  1. The collision involves injury or death.
  2. Criminal activity is involved in the collision (e.g. any suspicion of alcohol, stolen vehicle, assault, etc.).
  3. The collision involves Federal, Provincial or Municipal vehicles (including TTC).
  4. The collision involves vehicles transporting dangerous goods.
  5. The collision involves a person who is uninsured or is a suspended driver.
  6. The collision involves damage to private, municipal or highway property.
  7. The collision involves bicycles or pedestrians.
  1. If it is safe to do so, remove vehicles from roadway.
  2. Exchange information with the other involved parties. (Names, driver licence #, addresses, phone numbers, insurance and vehicle particulars).
  3. If any, obtain names and phone numbers of independent witnesses.
  4. Forthwith, attend with your vehicle at the CRC most convenient to you. (Refer to the maps on back of this pamphlet).
  5. BRING YOUR DOCUMENTATION with you to the CRC (Driver's licence, ownership and insurance etc).
YES - The CRC will take property damage only fail to remain reports. A police unit will be dispatched if the suspect vehicle is still in the area of the collision.
A Community Resource Centre is a facility where the public may attend to report motor vehicle collisions and/or seek advice on policing-related matters. Many services which are offered by the Information Management Bureau are also offered at the Centre.
  1. A danger to on-scene motorists;
  2. Personal injury;
  3. Any Criminal activity, such as impaired driving nor stolen vehicles;
  4. A government vehicle of any kind;
  5. A vehicle which is transporting dangerous goods;
  6. Damage to third-party property, such as a parked car where the owner is not at the scene;
  7. Damage to private, municipal or highway property;
  8. A pedestrian or cyclist;
  9. An uncooperative driver.
If any of the above circumstances exist, an officer should attend the scene.

The Highway Traffic Act requires that all collisions involving injuries, or where property damage apparently exceeds $1,000.00, or where there is damage to Highway property, must be reported to the police.

Any person who has been involved in a collision who fails to attend at the Centre when directed by a police officer or when otherwise required by law is guilty of an offence.

Yes, providing the collision meets the criteria previously mentioned and the suspect is not known.
  1. Check the list of exceptions to determine if it is necessary to have the police attend the scene.
  2. If it is safe to do so, remove the vehicles(s) from the roadway. If any vehicle cannot be moved, or if it is not safe to move it, call the police and await further instructions.
  3. Exchange information with the other driver(s). Ensure you gather as much information about the other driver and any available witnesses, including name, address, home and business phone numbers, vehicle information and insurance particulars. Filling out the information portion of this brochure will assist the Officer when completing your report.
  4. As soon as possible, and in any case within 72 hours, attend with your vehicle at the Community Resource Centre. If your vehicle is to be towed, it must be taken directly where without receiving any repairs or alterations. Do not bring it to the Centre after operating hours. Under no circumstances are collision vehicles to be stored at the Centre.
  5. Ensure you have all your documentation with you including your driver's licence, vehicle ownership and insurance certificate.
  6. If an Officer attends the scene, obtain their name, badge number and incident number.
Most services which are offered by the Information Management Bureau are also offered at the Centre. They include:
  • Personal criminal record checks;
  • Volunteer clearance letters;
  • Copies of various occurrence reports.

The Centre also has resources which can provide information on police-related matters such as:

  • Recruiting
  • Victim assistance
  • Domestic Assault
  • Impaired Driving
  • Home security
  • Road Watch